Saturday, February 9, 2008

Boy, Administrators waste no time at all when it comes to SNOW DAYS!

Again, we had a snow day--yahoo! BUT, we as teachers, already know about days that we would need to possibly make up at the end of the year. Why are we constantly being reminded of this? I was able to check my school e-mail address and low and behold--there is a reminder about inclement weather and make-up days that would take place at the end of the year! Of course-the reminding we get when it is already said on the news Friday night! I know that we met our limit, but who is to say that we will have or not have any more snow days? You never know and you can't predict the weather anymore. I just hope that because we have met our limit or if we have exceeded it by a day or so, that they continue to think of ALL of OUR safety when it comes to inclement weather. They need to stop reminding us that now that some districts have exceeded it, we will definately make them up in the end. Well--no kidding. That has always been an issue and it will continue to be an issue year after year. When students' last day this year is SUPPOSED to be June 6th and teachers have to go on the following Monday to do Grades/Progress Reports/Report Cards---I am already there for about a week after anyways cleaning out my classroom. So, to tell you the truth--as long as we are absolutely finished with school by the end of the 2nd week of June, then I am fine. But, if it ends up that we have to continue school until the end of June-well, then I will have issues. I remember one year when I was in Detroit, we had school until the end of June--like June 21st or something like that--and we had NO snow days to make up--that was just our crazy schedule! I actually taught Summer School that year-so, it felt like I never had any time off. So, as far as making up days for snow--I understand--and so does all of the other teachers in Michigan as well--so, stop constantly reminding us of that please!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have it so bad....not having snow days. I admire the teachers that do get them. However, I don't have to make any days up at the end of this year. It sounds like one or two snow days are good, but they become more of a headache as they add up.

KB said...

Did you see the article in Sunday's Saginaw News? On the front page was a reminder for everyone that schools have meet their limit on snow days. I agree with you that I hope this does not influence a decision to not call off school when the conditions warrant it.

Second Grade Teacher said...

I am WITH you on the whole snow day thing! :-)

My girlfriend teaches in NY and they go until the LAST WEEK of June and start after Labor Day (which was a sore spot for me when I first came to MI and we had to start in mid-late August! I was shocked! So was my girlfriend, she couldn't believe that we had to EVEN think about school and teaching in AUGUST already!

Fortunately, our school is private/parochial and we receive no state funding (unfortunately for our financial picture!) but therefore, we are not obligated to follow state rules, regulations and guidelines. Some, we follow. Others, we don't. So our principal will decide as the year goes by (and IF the snow days continue to accumulate) if we need to add days to the end of our school year.

Thanks for sharing. James is one of the few who hasn't experienced that sheer joy of a phone call essentially telling you that you can go BACK TO BED (until your little ones wake you up, that is!)